Social Icons

Monday, April 24, 2017

In Tollywood, chiefs are terrified to go out on a limb: Joya Ahsan

She walked into our workplace on the day before Pahela Baishakh in geographical area. However it conjointly happened to be the primary day of the year in People's Republic of Bangladesh. Therefore thereon day, April 14, Joya Ahsanstood on the cusp of 2 worlds — each equally Bengali, however totally different. That set the ball rolling for the oral communication, from Satyajit Ray to Nurul Alam Atique, Humayun Ahmed to Sunil Ganguly. However as Joya explained to U.S., the love and flattery she receives square measure constant on each side. There’s no color or faith thereto. Excerpts:

This is the primary time when a few years that you’re removed from Dacca throughout Pahela Baishakh. Aren’t you missing home?

Don’t inquire from me concerning it. Ma has created all styles of bhartas reception and she’s causation ME photos. I don’t mind missing the non secular occasions, that square measure huge in People's Republic of Bangladesh. However the Mongol Shobhayatra that happens in Dacca on Pahela Baishakh are some things else altogether. Folks go crazy at the carnival. They’re drunk on the energy and joy of the celebrations. Even somebody WHO earns 5,000 Bangladeshi monetary unit can put aside one thing to celebrate nowadays. They’ll draw People's Republic of Bangladesh flags on their cheeks and quit. Folks obtain vibrant garments — saris, lungi, gamchha — particularly for teenagers.

Kolkata has no such celebrations for Pahela Baishakh. What square measure your plans?

Friends have referred to as ME over for lunch, a number of them wish to bring over home-cooked food to my place. However I will be able to even have to travel for hall visits, as a result of Bishorjon has simply free. Therefore it’s additional of an operating Pahela Baishakh on behalf of me (smiles)! Talking concerning our shared cultural heritage — West Bengal and People's Republic of Bangladesh  does one assume there's a bigger sense of pride and joy in being

Bengali and speaking Bangla thereon aspect of the border than here?

In People's Republic of Bangladesh, folks square measure additional emotional. Folks in city conjointly love their language, but yes, there are some things that irritate me. Let’s say i'm going to a hospital to visualize a doctor. They will see from my passport and my garments that I’m Bengali. The person at the counter is additionally Bengali, I will see that on his tag. However they at once begin speaking in English. I realize this angle terribly troublesome to know. Why would one Bengali person speak to a different in English? In People's Republic of Bangladesh too we've got this tribe WHO like to speak in, what we tend todecision, Banglish. They roll their ‘R’s and have a special angle. It is sad, really.

Being somebody from the industry, does one realize folks in geographical area as privy to the cinema, music and literature of People's Republic of Bangladesh as folks there square measure concerning the art and culture in West Bengal?

Oh no, i feel folks on this aspect of the border square measure a lot of underprivileged. You’ve got Sunil, Sirshendu et al. here, however our literature is of nice caliber, whether or not it's Shahduzzaman, Ilias, or senior writers like Humayun Ahmed and Hasan Azizul Huq. For instance, Huq’s stories have subtexts and layers that reveal themselves only if you scan between the lines of the written language. I’ve done Rajkahini on Partition, however let ME tell you concerning Khancha, a movie on Partition that I’ve wiped out People’s Republic of Bangladesh. It’s concerning the stories of families treed on each side of the border, thinking that each one their issues can get resolved once they're ready to cross over. It’s a stimulating film and these stories ought to be told. Folks here square measure missing them.

What concerning the films that you’ve wiped out Tollywood? Have they been creatively fulfilling?

See, there square measure issues on each side, and that we artistes square measure caught within the middle. We tend to square measure continuously checking out sensible characters and storytelling. However in Tollywood, there's lots of concern among administrators. Sahosh atomic number 73 kom. However the trade provides such nice infrastructure and organisation. All departments have separate roles and everybody is aware of their job. Even when obtaining such a lot in terms of facilities, if one doesn't createone thing dynamic, then it's a matter of nice disappointment. In People's Republic of Bangladesh, there's not a lot of infrastructure, however lots of passion. At times, even the whole production budget has not been unionized, however the director is like cholo, let’s begin shooting. Since I’m greedy permanently roles, I too get swayed by the fervour, and you’ll most likely realize ME in some remote a part of the country, wherever there isn’t even correct drink, shooting for the film. There’s a way of madness and joy. Filmmakers might not perceive the social control side of it, however there's a way of honesty you'll glimpse within the films there. I don’t realize that honesty here. In Tollywood, things square measure done mathematically, based on audience perception. The thinking is slim. That is why, since Satyajit Ray, hardly any films have traveled to the massive festivals. However in People's Republic of Bangladesh, a number of freelance administrators is doing latest work. Take the instance of Abdullah Mohd Saad. He’s a young director, who’s created Live from Dacca that has created an enormous splash at international festivals. It’s a couple of physically challenged man WHO needs to depart behind the lifetime of Dacca.

What concerning roles you get here and in Bangladesh? What square measure the differences?

They trust ME there with fascinating feminine roles. Perhaps it’s as a result of I do principally freelance films which too not terribly oftentimes. In Bengal, administrators like to play safe. Ladies in Tollywood films square measure principally terribly feminine; that’s the means they’re designed. The thinking is on atiny low scale. In People's Republic of Bangladesh, I’ve simply done a movie on life during a circus. From walking a rope to doing stunts, I’ve not taken a body double. Wherever square measure roles like that for ladies here? I conjointly did Peyarar Subash with Nurul Alam Atique. He lives the lifetime of a producer. One doesn’t become a producer solely my creating films. You’ve got to measure that life. Like Indranil Roychowdhury here, I would like to figure with him once more and once more. The matter in Tollywood is that they'll solely shoot the maximum amount as they’ve planned and ne'er transcend that. Notwithstanding fascinating things come back up, they won’t fade impulse. At times, I’m itch to recommend one thing, however I do know it's of no use and hold myself back. In People's Republic of Bangladesh, the madness is far additional. There’s still a hangover of Ritwik Ghatak there, rather more than Satyajit Ray. Even I’m a much bigger fan of Ghatak. He felt the pain of Partition and carried it in his heart to Bharat. That pain is there in his works.
Rajkahini, Bishorjon — you’re perpetually engaged on films wherever the border could be a motif. As a Bangladeshi operating in Bharat, however does one react to that?
I’m the largest sufferer therein respect. I even have to come back with a passport to the present country to fulfill my friends and work with them. Folks have welcome ME here, however there square measure troubles at the officialdom level. In People's Republic of Bangladesh, folks are terribly possessive concerning me, and their emotions run to extremes. Once they love ME, it's with all their hearts. Once they wish to throw ME away, that, too, they are doing with full force. However at the tip of the day, I’m associate performer and I’ll work where i purchase the prospect. The opposite factor that irritates ME is that once Shakib Al Hasan plays here, there's a good sense of pride in People's Republic of Bangladesh. However once Joya Ahsan works in Bharat, many folks can’t take it. I honestly assume there's a gender issue at work here.

This is a busy year for you. You’ve got lots of releases lined abreast of that aspect of the border.
Yes, that’s true. However my biggest challenge this year is that I even have conjointly pitched myself as a producer. I’ve got a government grant to create a movie supported Humayun Ahmed’s story, Debi. I’ve got the govt. funds, however I even have to assemble the remainder of the money and end the film inside time. The shooting goes on. This can be a story from the Misir Ali series. Chanchal Choudhury, WHO had a job in Moner Manush, play Misir Ali.

When you get roles here, does one see an inclination to supply you characters that talk a Bangladeshi dialect? Will that act as a limitation?


(Pauses) I don’t feel any limitation from my aspect. If I purchase solid as someone with a Purba Bangla background, that’s as a result of those roles are written therein manner. Srijit told ME there was a personality from that background in Rajkahini. Kaushikda had written the story of Bishorjon a protracted time back, however when MEeting me, the concept became additional concrete. As for me, I’ve continuously likeable stories concerning marginalised folks. That’s to not say I can’t play urban characters, however that’s not my 1stselection. I wouldn’t wish mind roles concerning adivasi folks, or folks from far-flung areas in Bharat. I’m assured of seizing that challenge. What’s the purpose of doing characters that are similar to me in real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates